EXISTING CONDITIONS: The Mixed Use planning area comprises three key nodes in Downtown Franklin. The extents include numerous identified properties at the Sixth St and Riley boulevard intersection, properties along Second St including the area up to the northern downtown extents, and a half block at the junction of River and Sixth St. These three nodes can also be identified as key gateways as they are located along high traffic corridors and prominently contribute to people’s first
impression of Downtown. These areas are currently composed of commercial, residential, industrial, public, and exempt uses. Although relatively developed, a considerable number of vacant and blighted properties are also located here. As important gateways, they offer tremendous opportunities for redevelopment, pedestrianization, and use intensification that can present Downtown Franklin in a new, attractive and exciting light for visitors and residents.
The Mixed-Use area should look to evolve into successful anchor spots Downtown that offer visitors and residents a variety of high-quality options for living, dining,
recreation, and entertainment.
FUTURE RECOMMENDED USES :
- Commercial uses of varying scales and intensities, such as grocery stores and banks, should be encouraged here. These can support residents and regional visitors.
- Retail uses of varying scales are desired to support those who live, work or visit here. Boutique stores, ice cream vendors, and record shops help create a unique character for the area.
- Residential uses are a key proponent for a safe and active Downtown. A variety of residential uses are appropriate in this area including townhomes, multi-family, and mixed use developments.
- Restaurants and Breweries that offer various cuisines and experiences should be encouraged to support those who live, work or visit downtown.
- Fitness Center and other recreational amenities that cater to residents and users in the region can be located here.
- Professional Offices/Services that can bring more people downtown on a regular basis are desired. Adaptable workspaces such as co-working spaces and start-up incubators should be encouraged here.
- Cafes that provide coffee, refreshments, and social meeting opportunities are desired here. Such uses can encourage more people
to visit and enjoy spending time in the downtown area.